Friday, June 12, 2009

Week 4 Comments

Response to Ashley O'

Cherie said...
I have to agree with you that in most families I know including mine the woman does do all of the cooking. I can remember when growing up that on rare occasions my father would cook but only because my mom had to go to a school or a church function. If cooking involved the grill this was a job that my dad and even today my husband takes great pride in doing. My mom would have never cooked on the grill because it’s thought of as a man’s job. However in my own home it’s not uncommon for me to turn on the gas grill and throw something on or load the charcoal, sprinkle on a little lightening fluid and light the match on the old grill we call big Betty. My husband was amazed that I could light a grill but like I told him when you grow up in a house with all girls; your father (at least mine) teaches you all the manly things because he does not have a son. My dad’s reasoning was that he never wanted us girls to have to depend solely on a man for anything which is why we know how to also change the oil in a car, change a flat tire and fix minor things around the house.
In my husbands case he grew up in a house of all boys (eight to be exact). All of the boys can cook, sew, wash clothes and clean. I had asked my mother-in-law why she taught them all those things. Her response was that until a wife came along they needed to be able to do these things for themselves. I give my husband credit he does cook from time to time but for the most part it falls on my shoulders and I don’t mind since he washes his own clothes and folds everyone’s in the house (I hate doing these things with a passion).
Here’s another food for thought: One of my co-workers sent me an email a while back that was talking about men cooking on the grill. One thing that it said is that why is it that when men cook on the grill everyone wants to give credit to him for the food tasting so good. The truth is that the credit should go to the woman because she is the one who prepares and season’s it; the man just throw it on the grill and flips it until its done. While he’s cooking on the grill he has the luxury of drinking a beer while the woman is sweating in the kitchen trying to get the rest of the meal done. This is so true!
June 12, 2009 4:10 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment