Friday, May 22, 2009

Week 1 Comments

Response Chris P & Neeru

It’s a shame that you had a negative experience working with women. You can’t characterize all women managers based on this experience. I believe the behavior you see in her is based on her having poor management skills not because she is a woman who is abusing her power. Depending on the industry and job function some women feel as though they have to act like the men in order to be accepted. I think this has to do mostly with the culture of that organization. The organizational cultures in organizations are tuff and can change a person drastically.

I have always reported directly into women and I am a manager myself. My philosophy is that it’s all about people. A manager has to be able to motivate, coach develop, and mentor their employees. It’s much easier to meet the companies objectives when you collaborate with your employees versus dictate and not empower them to think out of the box, be creative and innovative.

I have worked with a man who was a manager even though I didn’t report into him he was horrible. A real tyrant; it was his way or no way! His employees literally feared him. If I allowed my experience with him to view all men in the workplace this way I would be doing a disservice to myself and the men I have to work with. You have to look at people as individuals and base your judgment on that.

May 22, 2009 9:39:00 PM PDT

No comments:

Post a Comment