Friday, May 22, 2009

Week 1 Post

Cherie said....
In just reading the first two chapters I find myself analyzing television shows and my interactions with others. I have become more observant about gender issues in the workplace, media/entertainment and in my personal life.

I was watching a re-run of the Bernie Mack show today. In this episode Bernie is the primary care giver to his nieces and nephew while his wife Wanda works. Bernie went to a dinner with Wanda at her boss’s house and while she was chatting with her boss and another male guest; he was chatting with the wives about children’s issues. His whole conversation was about the kids and you could tell that he felt out of place and wanted so desperately to be talking with the men. This was a great episode that showed gendered roles in reverse.

Although this was a television show there are a few men that are homemakers but because men have the higher paying jobs it is more common for a women to be the homemaker. However, with the economy the way it is today most parents work versus stay at home with the kids. I think society as a whole still questions when a man stays at home to tend to the kids but over the years it has become more acceptable There are many studies about women being at home for the first few years of a child’s development but I would be curious to see the states for stay at home dads. Since this is such a new prospective I don’t think we will see hard data for years to come.

May 22, 2009 9:17:00 PM PD

2 comments:

  1. Cherie, I am glad that you are becoming aware of your surroundings, It is very important that people pay attention to every area of their life and the lives of those close to them, especially pay close attention to the gender issues in the different venues that closely surround you. You stated role reversal is running rampant because the responsibility of the household has increased because of the information age coupled with more wants and more needs by the individuals that reside in the household. Shared duties are a must, along with cooperation from all in the household members. The stakes are higher now because the economy is dictating to the bread winner that more is required, and now we need participation from everyone involved in the household. The economy doesn’t discriminate, the days of allowing someone else to carry the weight has past. Cherie you mentioned that studies show that women are staying home the first years of their child’s life, I believe the report left somthing out an important point,that they are in a high income bracket and that they can afford to do that because one income is enough to live off of.

    ReplyDelete